We got together with one of our favorite Western Chief partners to talk about all things FALL! We hope you enjoy this delightful guest-written blog by Hannah of @muddyoakhennhouse as much as we do.
Hey y'all, happy fall!
I don't know what it is about the start of fall that makes the majority of folks, myself included, want instant comfort and warm and cozy feels. From pumpkin spice and apple crisp to hot beverages and bowls of our favorite soups - the comfort foods are plenty. And nothing makes a big bowl of soup better (if that's even possible) then knit sweaters, blanket scarfs, and cozy-lined house slippers.
After a busy season in the garden and putting up the harvest, I kick off fall with a big bowl of Corn Chowder and trade my garden rain boots in for fuzzy slippers.
I'd love to share my recipe for this fall favorite with y'all and hope it helps you cozy up this fall!
What You'll Need:
- 1lb raw bacon, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 bell peppers, diced. (1 red & 1 orange)
- 3 cups/1 quart corn (roughly 5 ears of corn)
- 1/4 cup all purpose or GF 1:1 flour
- 3 cups/1 quart chicken stock.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese plus some for topping
Let's make chowder!!!
- In a large pot on medium heat, cook bacon, garlic, and diced bell peppers until bacon is about done and peppers look tender (about 15 - 20 minutes of cook time).
- Add in corn and cook another 5 minutes.
- Once corn is heated through, stir in flour and chicken stock to thicken. Reduce heat and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add in milk and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add in cheddar and stir until cheese is melted through.
Time to serve this deliciousness! Top with bacon crumbs and cheddar cheese. Serves well with crackers or dinner rolls.
This soup does well in a crock pot on keep warm for the day and also freezes well for future quick meals.
Did you make this delicious chowder recipe? Share a photo with us @westernchief and with Hannah @muddyoakhennhouse!